Hyatt Sous Chef - Shor Restaurant/Lobby Bar in NEWPORT BEACH, California
At Hyatt, we believe our guests select Hyatt because of our caring and attentive colleagues who are focused on providing authentic hospitality and meaningful experiences to each and every guest. Hyatt is a place where high expectations aren't just met-they're exceeded. It's a place of outstanding rewards, where talent opens doors to exciting challenges in the hospitality industry. We portray a family-like working environment that offers unique and exciting benefits including a full health care package (medical, dental, vision), 401k matching contribution, educational assistance, colleague cafeteria, complimentary and discounted room nights at Hyatt locations around the world and fun colleague events that celebrate our successes!
The Sous Chef will serve as a leader that focuses on successfully accomplishing the daily objectives in the kitchen. This role will report to the Executive Chef and is capable of assuming department responsibilities in their absence. The main area of focus will be the management of the Shor Restaurant kitchen which services the restaurant, lobby bar and pools. They will have a strong understanding of a kitchen operation within the hotel and practice the importance of producing a consistent, quality product that meets and exceeds the guests' needs in a timely manner.
- Support senior leadership by developing and assuming basic management responsibilities
- Assume the role of liaison between all departments within the culinary division and all other hotel departments
- Supervise the preparation and cooking of various food items
- Develop and implement creative menu items that adhere to Hyatt brand standards
- Plan, coordinate & implement special events and holiday functions
- Manage hourly kitchen employees through scheduling, payroll, training, coaching, evaluating and hiring
- May manage other key culinary leadership rolls including supervisor and other less senior Sous Chefs
- Lead and coach the team towards achieving exceptional guest service and employee satisfaction results
- Monitor food production, ordering, cost, and quality and consistency on a daily basis
- Ensure proper safety and sanitation of all kitchen facilities and equipment
/ Knowledge, Skills & Ability /
-Flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays required
-Excellent knowledge of food products and handling
-Experience in menu design and tastings
-Able to multitask on various levels under very high stress levels
-Strong understanding of personal hygiene and sanitation techniques as they pertain to restaurant work
-Can effectively communicate between language barriers.
/ Education or Formal Training /
-Formal culinary training strongly preferred
-Servsafe Food Handling or equivalent certificate required
Experience in basic financial management
Proficient in general computer knowledge
/ Experience /
-Minimum 2-4 years restaurant kitchen experience in a leadership role required
/ Material and Equipment Directly Used /
-In depth knowledge of all kitchen equipment
-Knives and other sharp tools
-Chemicals and other cleaning products
-Raw and fresh foods
/ Working Environment/Physical Activities: /
-Heavy lifting to 50lbs
-Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time
-Kitchen Hot or Cold line
-Walk-in Coolers and Freezers
-Execution of meals under various conditions of heat and stress Hyatt develops Sous Chefs to progress into the role of Executive Sous Chef through the training of Banquets, Restaurants and Garde Manager.
Hyatt Hotels & Resorts believes in strong commitment to promotion from within. 70% of management hired is from within Hyatt, 89% of Managing Committee is promoted from within. The statistics are there; make it your next step!
Hyatt associates work in an environment that demands exceptional performance yet reaps great rewards. Hyatt has the best to offer in the culinary field. Whether its career opportunities, job enrichment or a supportive work environment, if you are ready for this challenge, then we are ready for you.
Primary Location: US-CA-Newport Beach
Organization: Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Pay Basis: Yearly
Job Level: Full-time
Req ID: NEW007799